Reviews after I successfully cut off caffeine for 2 months

By syasandeul - 26 May

credit to
I don't remember when did I develop the "love" for coffee but I'm pretty sure that "studying" was part of the reason (no, I'm not a top scorer in class. It's for the last minute cramming hihi). Caffeine works for me - it energizes me the moment I sip it in, I feel a kick in my brain & suddenly I'm wide awake! Some of my friends told me that no matter how many cups of caffeine they consume, it just won't work for them. So, I guess different body different reaction, huh?

Slowly becoming a coffee addict, I thought it was just another staying-up-late-moment. I sniffed out my own breathe, "wow, I smell like a coffee now." I thought it was normal & pretty much have the audacity to be impressed with the coffee smell & sometimes when I consume too much of caffeine, even my urine smells like it too. It's not that bad. I just started being concerned about it and I thought of "how do I get rid of these smells?". To make it worse, most of the time it stains the teeth as well. So I kinda get scared every time I have to see a dentist; might get scolded haha but thankfully, my dentists that I've been seeing (so far) are kind & so effective in planning out my appointments with them. I totally got rid of those coffee stains now. Thank God (for the kind-hearted dentists).

The first two weeks of keeping myself away from those coffee shops and drinks was indeed a struggle. Luckily, it was ramadhan so my target was keeping myself hydrated so I stay out of touch from it & only drink plain water. As silly as it may sound, I missed the smell of it in the morning when I wake up and sip it in while watching the sun rises. I missed the smell of it when I pour the hot water and coffee powder into my cup. I missed the smell of it on me. Like, it was so hard to not think of it. All I did was guarding & refraining myself from seeing it, touching it and consuming it. 

Now, it has been 2 months since I cut it off. Better sleeping pattern, I no longer breathe in coffee, brighter smile, no more smelling like coffee, and I just feel a lot more better. I have to admit that drinking coffee makes you dehydrated because it is a weak diuretic (it makes your toilet-visit increase and dehydrates your body). 2 months without consuming any type of caffeine, it makes my body feels better, hydrated and naturally energetic to do my work. I replace my morning coffee routine with milk and other times, I drink plain water regularly to keep myself hydrated. I guess having breakfast in the morning contributes to my day productivity. I can pray, work, and doing some other chores feeling much freeee than before. I believe it is actually a state of my mind - which is an aftermath of having a healthy body. Healthy body, mind and being productive - they all correlate with each other. 

While doing this, I'm not stopping myself from drinking a cup of coffee if I'll need it someday. It's just I wanna stop being a coffee-addict who consume it day in and day out. I wanted to give myself a break and a freedom of having a more productive day without depending on such substance.

Til' next time, xo.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments